Four Mountains. Four Wines.
Established in 1995, Lokoya is a collection of four distinct Cabernet Sauvignons from four of Napa Valley’s most celebrated mountain appellations. These single-vineyard wines are 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, fermented with native yeast, and bottled unfined and unfiltered—resulting in the purest expression of place. They are powerful wines that reflect the intense individuality of each mountain.
Lokoya honors the Native American tribe of the Napa Valley who lived on Mount Veeder in the western mountains and named part of it “Lokoya” which, legend has it, means “the place where geese fly over.”
Winemaker Chris Carpenter believes that the art of great winemaking is knowing when to intervene in the vineyard and the cellar, and when to leave the fruit alone so that it can express itself as naturally and eloquently as possible. Winemaking nurtures the optimal expression of the fruit, pampering ideally ripe fruit with gentle handling at every turn. Extensive sorting, native yeast fermentation, small wooden basket pressing and aging in small French oak barrels coax what is irreplaceable about each vineyard.
Winemaking techniques include:
• Minimal movement of fruit from vineyard to cellar to avoid prematurely crushed berries.
• To ensure that only the most pristine, clean fruit is fermented, all of the grapes are hand-sorted at the winery using mobile sorting tables with a conveyer design.
• Small wooden basket pressing allows more control and better tannin management; level of pressing can be monitored and incremental press cuts can be made.
• Specially designed, semi-open top fermenters allow fruit to be picked at higher sugar levels without resulting in higher alcohol levels. This results in smoother, more elegant wines.
• Native yeast fermentations allow the wine to develop maximum complexity
• French oak barrels are used exclusively to frame the powerful tannins of the mountain fruit.
• Lokoya is lightly fined using egg whites, which removes sediment without stripping the wine.
WINES OF LOKOYA
Lokoya Mount Veeder
Lokoya Howell Mountain
Lokoya Spring Mountain
Lokoya Diamond Mountain
Three 100 Point Scores Robert M. Parker Jr., The Wine Advocate
2003 Lokoya Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon “It is unquestionably the most profound wine I have ever tasted from Howell Mountain.”
2002 Lokoya Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon “Absolutely perfect… this is a profound mountain Cabernet Sauvignon…”
2001 Lokoya Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon “An utterly perfect wine… extremely full-bodied and opulent with great structure, purity and density.”