Nashville Wine Auction Celebrates the Success of the 2nd Annual Pairings: A Celebration of Wine and Food
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (MARCH 12, 2014) – Nashville Wine Auction is pleased to announce that the 2nd Annual Pairings: A Celebration of Wine and Food, held on February 21-22, 2014, raised $193,964.00 to fulfill the organization’s mission to fund the fight against cancer.
This year, Pairings expanded to feature two days of wine and food entertainment. On Friday, February 21, more than 250 wine enthusiasts were treated to a wine reception at MStreet Entertainment Group’s private club, Citizen and indulged in a stunning four course menu from a collection of award-winning chefs at MStreet’s newest event venue, The Rosewall. Each course featured two chefs (one local and one out of town) paired with a California winery.
On Saturday, twenty-six award-winning California wineries from Napa Valley, Sonoma and the Central Coast poured their fine wines for the oenophiles who participated in a Silent and Live Auction at The Factory at Franklin. The auction was conducted by Christie’s Wine Specialist, Charles Antin, as guests enjoyed a picnic lunch with one of the esteemed vintners at their table.
“We are very pleased with the success of Pairings,” said Holly Whaley, Executive Director of Nashville Wine Auction. “After last year’s inaugural Pairings, we were excited to invite another fabulous line up of chefs and a larger group of vintners to Nashville! Thanks to the support of our sponsors, wineries, chefs and wine community, we were able to raise even more money for our beneficiaries.”
Attendance increased this year from 248 to 451 and giving was up by 17% to support Nashville Wine Auction beneficiaries. In addition, twenty-six wineries developed a lasting friendship with our organization and are looking forward to returning to Nashville next year!
Now, Nashville Wine Auction will shift its focus onto two upcoming auctions this year, including the 35th Annual l’Eté du Vin featuring Château Margaux in the summer. With Guest of Honor, Paul Pontallier, General Manager and Winemaker at Château Margaux, Nashville Wine Auction looks forward to welcoming guests from all across the nation in an effort to increase giving to its beneficiaries.
The sponsors for Pairings included Saint Thomas Health, M Street Entertainment Group, Tennessee Oncology, Pinnacle Financial Group and Nashville Lifestyles. In-Kind Sponsors included M Group, My Emma, Frothy Monkey, ImageQuest, Music City Tents and Events and SpringTree Media Group.
The Silent and Live Auctions both produced a number of fantastic lots, including fine wines, dinners and tastings, trips and luxury items. Some of the top lots were:
• A California Cult Wine Dinner featuring four vintages of Harlan Estate, Araujo, Hundred Acre and Joseph Phelps Insignia with Chef Lisa Donovan of Husk Nashville sold for $14,000.
• A ten year vertical tasting of Turley Wine Cellars’ Zinfandels with Chefs Josh Habiger and Randall Prudden of Pinewood Social sold for $8,000.
• A river cruise taking two lucky bidders to Burgundy and Provence sold for $5,000.
• A wine tasting trip through Central Coast California, including stops at Turley Wine Cellars, Herman Story Wines, and Jada Vineyards, amongst others sold for $4,500.
• A bottle of Harlan Estate Napa Valley Red Wine, 2009 in Magnum sold for $1,800.
• A bottle of 1988 Krug Champagne in Magnum, donated in honor of Buddy Killen, sold for $1,200.
The menu for Friday night featured a spectacular pairing of wine and food, showcasing the talent of both the chefs and winemakers.
• Hors d’oeuvres prepared by Andy Hayes of Moto
Sunburst Trout Crudo with blood orange, fennel and benne seeds, Lamb Meatballs with ricotta and mint, Beet Caprese Skewers, Proscuitto Crostini with mostarda
• First Pairing: Scallop with Jerusalem Artichoke, Lemon, Beurre Noisette, French Perigord Truffle by Matt Bolus (The 404 Kitchen, Nashville) and Anthony Lamas (Seviche, Louisville) with Two Sisters Chardonnay, Courtney’s Vineyard, 2011 presented by Leslie Renaud of Foley Estates Vineyard
• Second Pairing: Squab with Soubise, Leeks, Allium Caramel, Carolina Gold Rice, Farro, by Hal Holden-Bache (Lockeland Table – Nashville) and Andrew Ticer and Michael Hudman, (Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen and Hog & Hominy, Memphis) with Wedell Cellars Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir 2008, presented by Maurice Wedell of Wedell Cellars
• Third Pairing: Beef Short Rib with Pickled Strawberry Relish, Lavender-Cipolla Cornbread, Turnip Crema, by Greg Baker (The Refinery, Tampa) and Robert Grace (Kayne Prime, Nashville), with Taylor Family Vineyards Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, presented by Mike Taylor of Taylor Family Vineyards
• Fourth Pairing: Olive & Sinclair Chocolate Mousse with Malted Milk Pavlova, Salted Bourbon Caramel, Spiced Pecan Custard by Lisa Donovan (Husk, Nashville) and Scott Witherow (Olive & Sinclair Chocolate Co., Nashville) with Turley Estate Petite Syrah, Napa Valley 2006 presented by Christina Turley of Turley Wine Cellars
Featured Wineries this year included Alexander Valley Vineyards, Arrington Vineyards, Banshee Wines, Bougetz Cellars, Cline Cellars, Copain Wines, Dierberg Estate Vineyard, Donum Estate, Foley Estates Vineyard & Winery, Gundlach Bundschu, Herman Story Wines, Ilsley Vineyards, Jada Vineyards, Lincourt Vineyards, Martinelli Winery & Vineyard, Northstar Winery, Novy Family Wines, Pali Wine Co., Robinson Family Vineyards, Scenic Root Winegrowers, Scriber Winery, Siduri Wines, Taylor Family Vineyards, Turley Wine Cellars, and Wedell Cellars.
The 35th Annual l’Eté du Vin, featuring Château Margaux with Guest of Honor Paul Pontallier will take place July 31-August 2, 2014.
The 4th Annual Champagne and Chardonnay will be held on Thursday, October 2, 2014.
The 3rd Annual Pairings will be held February 27-28, 2015.
ABOUT NASHVILLE WINE AUCTION: Established in 1980, the Nashville Wine Auction is the oldest charity wine auction in the country. It has raised over $18 million for organizations whose purpose is directly related to treatment, patient care, and eradication of cancer here in Middle Tennessee. The 2014 list of beneficiaries includes: American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge, Pearl Point Cancer Support, Gilda’s Club/Nashville, Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Middle Tennessee, Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, Saint Thomas Cancer Network, and Williamson Medical Center Foundation.